Monday, July 23, 2012

A Teacher's Responsibility


Are you experiencing the heat where you are? It is 7 PM here in Louisiana and it is still in the 90's! The forecast for us is more hotter days! Whee...hotter than today...and I thought this day was miserable. 
  My first cousin's daughter is an elementary school teacher who use her Facebook for her profession. I enjoy reading some of her postings because sometimes they hold a deeper meaning. This is one of them below:




  Parents constantly write notes asking if she will do things concerning their child. Things that should be done by the parent, etc. but certainly not her. One instance: Take a picture of her boy to send to her mother, since she's always taking pictures, and she does not have a camera, duh!
  I will venture to say, it is even harder today for teachers than back in the day when I was in the classroom.
  Do you think teachers should be expected to do things for his/her students that are obviously the parents' responsibility? I would love to see your comments on this one!

9 comments:

  1. I think it's rough to be a teacher these days. New York city schools are tough and so much is asked of teachers -- well beyond the scope of teaching curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loretta,
    Oviously it would be wonderful if some parents would do what they are suppose to do. Some teachers have compassion and go farther than they should sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The heat is horrendous, everybody is getting so cranky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes...all the blame and none of the credit does to teachers...I believe though parents are the primary educators of their children...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that teachers have it harder these days. Parents don't take enough responsibility. And then I'm sure they expect the teacher to do way too much to take up their slack. So sorry she has to do all this. I bet she's a good teacher though! :)

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do I think teachers should be expected to do many things, which the family should do? Of course not!

    And what ever happened to the whole notion of parental responsibility? If people have children, they should be responsible for their training and up-bringing. Not foist off so much, onto the schools, etc.

    A pet peeve of mine...

    Gentle hugs...

    "I want to have a little house with sunshine on the floor,
    A chimney with a rosy hearth, and lilacs by the door;
    With windows looking East and West, And a crooked apple tree,
    And room beside the garden fence for hollyhocks to be!


    ~Nancy Bird Turner

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister was an elem spec ed teacher and it is amazing how many children don't even live with their parents. So very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Loretta, it is hot here, too but was hotter a week or two ago. My flowers are pitiful looking. As for the question about a teacher's responsibility, I don't think they should be expected to do what the parents won't do. I am sure it is frustrating to have to deal with some parents. ------- Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  9. The temperatures are back to hot again in Atlanta making it hard to do anything.

    I don't have children, but can imagine how different the classroom is for teachers these days. I would say a lot is asked of them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Your feedback is very helpful. Do come again to visit us at our house,you are always welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...